Man or woman, getting stronger is going to be the best thing you can do. Here's why:
- Improved Body Image. Nothing shapes your body better than strength training. Cardio is fine (and you should always be doing some) but it doesn't hold a candle to building muscle.
- Eating Simplicity: When you're focused on building muscle, you will naturally prioritize protein consumption. This is good. Building muscle can completely redefine your relationship with food. Food becomes nourishment and fuel to support the body you want rather than the body you wish you had. And ya know what? You can totally eat more crap when you have muscle. Your metabolism is so ramped up that little excursions off the "perfect path" are no big deal.
- Your Confidence Soars. You are more capable with more muscle and therefore more confident. You can do more things. You're maintaining independence. You're a badass especially when many of your friends struggle to get out of a chair.
- Longevity. You don’t stop exercising because you get old. You get old because you stop exercising! Did you realize that deaths by falls in older adults has risen by 30% in the last 10 years? Falls are the second leading cause of death worldwide! It's astounding. Why do you think this is true? Sedentary life leads to muscle loss (sarcopena) and weakness. Weakness leads to falls. Don't be a statistic.
- Stronger is always going to be better. Doesn't matter what you're doing, Strength Solves All Problems. Got problems? Build some muscle. Want to lose fat? Build Muscle. It's that simple.
And I'm talking about building lean mass, not bulk for the sake of strength. This is prep for taking your shirt off, not max benching.
More later. Get strong, look young (well younger). It's the best plan.